From: World Wide Ward Cookbook
This meal really surprised me. I was a little unsure about it, but thought perhaps my hubby would appreciate something that says "steak" in it. The cooked peppers and celery....OH MAMA! Cooked celery, don't overlook it! It is DELISH!!
OH and I have an announcement, believe it or not, Jake sang my praises through this whole meal! HE TRIED IT....AND HE LIKED IT, nay, LOVED IT! I was pretty pumped! So, this meal comes with Jake's stamp of approval, now that is a rarity!
- 1 lb. beef chuck steaks, fat trimmed
- 1/4 c. soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh ginger, grated, or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 T. Olive Oil (if you find you need more, add. Original recipe called for 1/4 c.)
- 1 c. green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch squares
- 1/2 c. green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch squares (I was fresh out. Doubled the red peppers)
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced (don't skip this, even if you don't like celery)
- 1 T. cornstarch
- 2 Tomatoes, cut into wedges (optional, cause we are not fans at our house)
- Cut beef across the grain into 1/4 inch thick strips.
- In a medium bowl, mix soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and beef. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large pan.
- Add beef mixture and cook over high heat until beef is browned.
- Simmer over low heat for 30 min. until beef is tender.
- Add the veggies and cook over high heat for 10 min.
- Combine the cornstarch with water and add to pan.
- Stir and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook through.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.
- Makes 4 servings.