Sunday, April 11, 2010

Jake's Object Lesson


My oldest son, Jake, taught Family Home Evening a couple of weeks ago. It all started with a simple experiment. I told Jake that if I poured oil on water it would float on top of the water. Then we went for the food coloring. Then it turned into a discussion, mostly his idea, that ended up being our lesson for FHE. He presented it all by himself. Here is how it went.....
The water in the jar represents THE WORLD
 (meaning the things of this world, pride, basically the things that are not of the Lord).
The Oil in the jar represents US.


1 John 2: 15-17:
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Romans 12:1-2:
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

*What does "of the world" mean?
*What can we do to "present [our] bodies a living sacrifice" to the Lord?"

The food coloring (which was supposed to be red...but we were out) represents THE SINS OF THE WORLD.


The oil repels the coloring and it passes straight through in droplets and then colors the water.
The kids LOVED that part! It is pretty fun to watch!

(Stir all together)
Sometimes we sin and we become like the "world". Then we need to repent.

(while everything starts to seperate again we read the scriptures below)

John 3:16:
 For God so loved the world, that he gave his eonly begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting ilife.

Isaiah 1:18:
Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
(When it is all settled)

Doctrine & Covenants 63:47:
He that is faithful and endureth shall overcome the world.
(Shine a Flashlight behind the jar. The lights won't cut through the bottom part but really lights up the oil.)

Matthew 5:14:
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
*How can we let our light shine so that it cannot be hid?

1 John 4:1-11:
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.  We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.  Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
I love that last scripture! I could read it over and over again! 
Jake did such a great job. Mallory was totally into the lesson. I would consider that a success! :)

35 comments:

Gear Gang said...

Great lesson. Thanks for the idea.

Love you

Janis said...

I saw your post on Sugardoodle, and I just wanted to come directly and tell you thanks for the awesome lesson. I have seen alot of object lessons, but never this one and it is wonderful.
Thanks again.

aprilkween said...

thank you so much, i'm going to use this next week and i'm sure it will be a hit.

Lisa said...

I found your link to this object lesson on the web...your son did an awesome job! I browsed through some of your other posts as well. I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your sweet boy. I am so greatful for the knowledge that we have of the gospel. I have a friend who is also an "angel mom" her son passed away almost two years ago. This year on his bday she and her family gathered some friends and family to his gravesite so we could send off balloons to their Evan in Heaven. It was made even more special b/c friends and family in other places also let off balloons and then sent her the pictures, it was so sweet. Thanks again for posting!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is a really great object lesson. God bless you for sharing.

Elizabeth said...

Great lesson I haven't even given it yet an I'm all reay bawling. I can't wait to give lesson tonite.

Brownski said...

This is great! Thank you so much for sharing. I'm looking forward to using this one FHE. X

Mary said...

What a great lesson. Just wanted to let you know that I will be using this when I teach Children's Church tomorrow morning. Thanks for the amazing lesson.

The Knudsen Klan said...

Amazing!! Thank you!! I was just talking to my 11 year old about this 2 days ago. What an answer to prayers.

Nancy Wyatt Jensen said...

Wow! Awesome object lesson! My daughter was asking for an object lesson on virtue for her mission zone conference, and I found your blog. I'm going to use it for a Sunday School lesson for my 13-year-olds as well. I'm pretty sure they are gonna love it! Thanks!

Maria said...

I am so excited to be using this object lesson tonight with our Awana group!! Thank you so much for sharing it!!

Jason Haubner said...

Used this in Guadalajara Mexico... to explain shining Gods light to kinder gardeners... Worked Awesome!

Unknown said...

OH MY GOodness! this is SUCH a Fabulous idea! I'm totally jazzed to teach this lesson! I can't thank you enought for the inspiration! xoxoxo

Lindsey said...

I used this lesson in YW. Thanks!

Aura Maria said...

I'm using this lesson for my class today-Thank you!!! :)

Elica Prior Potts said...

Thank you for the idea :) I can't wait to share this with my fellow YW in one of our activities :)

1940 LaSalle said...

I will be using this valuable lesson when teaching our Pioneer Boys club on Wednesday night. Great job Jake!

THE REAL MCCOY said...

We used this for family night tonight. We also read about Lehi's vision of the Tree of Life from the scripture stories. It worked really well together. Thank you for sharing:)

C. Capela said...

Will be using this in Sunday school for a lesson on the temptation of Jesus. Thank you!

Laura Skipper said...

I used this object lesson at VBS last night. Really cool. Kids loved it.

Laura Skipper said...

I used this object lesson at VBS last night. Really cool. Kids loved it.

Sonya said...

This is a great object lesson that can be tied to any bible study. Great lesson! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Love the idea but why didn't it work for me!? Bummed cause it was such a cool idea. The droplets of dye didn't run into the water but stayed at the bottom of the oil and then I mixed it up and waited 10 min. and the oil was still colored. What the heck did I do wrong? haha.

Chestnut Grove Academy said...

Found on Pinterest and using today, thanks for the idea!

Wendy Ray said...

If the text of the scripture verses isn't showing up in this article for you like they aren't for me, you can see them by highlighting the space below the reference. Maybe it's just my dinosaur of a computer. Anyway, love this lesson idea--thank you so much! :)

Unknown said...

Realy Good post……I have no word to say.
you know what I never read this knife of long article before today ! ! You are amazing

Diane Smith said...

I'm going to use this in Children's church tomorrow. I plan to buy 4 oz jars and let each child make their own. Great illustration.

mary sowjanya said...

What a great lesson in a way that captivates kid's attention. I'll use for my son. Thank you for sharing.

Amber said...

I taught this lesson to my Wednesday night class (ages 4-12) a couple weeks ago. Gave each of them their own bottle and they loved it! Thank you so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

Love this lesson that your son did. I am using it tomorrow in Kids Church! Thank you

Michele said...

Great idea. Thank you for sharing it. What a smart boy!

Ms. Sunshine said...

Thank you for this lesson! We are using it with our family tonight.

Anonymous said...

Loved this lesson/idea; used it tonight for my Awana Sparks (K-2nd grade) and they really enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing!!

janchlsn said...

Love the idea. Great object lesson


Joyce Nicholson

Unknown said...

No funcionó el aceite quedó pintado igual que el agua

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails