Thursday, September 19, 2013

Jenny GreenTeeth

Went on a bike ride yesterday with my kid, some other guys, and some other kids.  There used to be a canal running right through the middle of town, about 25' across, maybe 10' deep.  It made for plenty of desperately fabricated tales animated to youngsters in dramatic fashion with the sole intent of scaring them to death before the canal could kill them...or something like that.

About 30 years ago, my wife was convinced by her well-meaning Mother that there are monster-types named 'Grinnie Grinnie GrinTeeth' that live in not just the canal--but any water, anywhere.  Except maybe the bath tub.  Anyway, I don't know if my wife just doesn't remember the name correctly, or if Mommy-In-Law's Mommy had it wrong too, but I'm pretty sure the creature she should  have been completely freaked out by is 'Jenny GreenTeeth'.

If your thinking of googling images of her, make sure the kids aren't around.  Sure, she's meant to be scary, but I'm pretty sure whatever images your kids get in their heads on their own will have much less potential for long term psychological damage than the offering online, and will likely still accomplish your devious designs.

For example--this was one of the pictures that popped up:


If you're mid-pottie training with a little tike, this photo may complicate things a bit after being viewed by Mr. Poopy-Pants.  Heck, I've never even seen a photo like this, and that image has crossed my mind a few times just at the wrong moment.  The 3 year old doesn't stand a chance.

Where was I...oh, the bike ride.  I'm not sure if it was the lack of interest in the local public pool, or if too many kids were falling in the canal after poking around looking for Ms. GreenTeeth, but the city decided to bury all the water in a 10' 6" diameter pipe, and lay out a nice little bike path on top of it where the watery grave once was--which is where we were riding our bikes.

Anyway, that's all I really wanted to say.  It was a good ride.  I'm sure we'll do it again sometime.

Just a side-note:  While I have a brother-in-law in his twenties who still refuses to get in the water, the GreenTeeth ploy was a complete and utter failure with my wife--which is great, unless there's water anywhere near you, and you have anything other than being in the water that needs to get done.

Oh well.

Toodles,
Hi-Jack    

1 comment:

Tammra said...

Just for the record - Grinny Grin Teeth was not my character, it was George's. I didn't want to buy the house we were looking at because it had a large irrigation ditch which ran adjacent to our property and directly under the road. George promised to pipe the ditch but until then he would keep the kids out of it by telling them about Grinny Grin Teeth. I went along because I didn't know what else to do.

This was a big deal to me because my cousin fell into an irrigation ditch when we were little. Just as he was about to go under the road a neighbor kid grabbed him and held on while I ran to get help. Scared me to death. I've been afraid of ditches, creeks, rivers, etc ever since.

Grinny Grin Teeth was not part of my childhood but may at have been part of George's. All I can say is thank goodness that character kept my kids out of that ditch!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails