Friday, September 23, 2011

"For My Soul Delighteth in the Song of the Heart......"



A few Sundays ago I was reading my favorite hymn, "Be Still My Soul". Remember when I posted about why I love that song so much? The third verse is going to be on the back of Dawson's headstone!

Anyway, I have always known that there are scripture references at the bottom of each of the hymns, but I have never really looked them up. I wanted to know the scriptural inspiration behind this beautiful hymn. I am so glad I did. Check this out:

"Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday. Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil. For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the Lord, they shall inherit the earth.

"And all they who have mourned shall be comforted. And all they who have given their lives for my name shall be crowned. Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God.

And all they who suffer persecution for my name, and endure in faith, though they are called to lay down their lives for my sake yet shall they partake of all this glory. Wherefore, fear not even unto death; for in this world your joy is not full, but in me your joy is full. Therefore, care not for the body, neither the life of the body; but care for the soul, and for the life of the soul. And seek the face of the Lord always, that in patience ye may possess your souls, and ye shall have eternal life."


Aren't they beautiful? I absolutely love the second!

"All they who have mourned shall be comforted"

That is a line that spoke to my heart. I trust in and KNOW that I will be with my little Dawson again. I can't wait for the day! And yet, I can't seem to fully grasp it, or comprehend it. In moments of contemplation of an Eternal Perspective, I can almost imagine, but I am certain and have faith that although there is joy, and the mourning and pain of grief is not quite as bitter or consuming all of the time, and the moments of pure heart ache are fewer than in the past, the pain remains at bay, always just under the surface. Always will. But I can imagine and hope that when I pass through that veil and I am reunited with our son, THEN will true and complete understanding come. I believe I will understand why all of this had to happen, as part of my journey on Earth. It will be clear. I am sure of that. So for now, that is what I have. Hope in things to come and a desire to submit to the plea from our loving Father in Heaven to "Be Still and know that I am God."

Just this singular moment of peace offered by this small moment of song and scripture has inspired me to continue to look up the scriptures that go with the hymns. If song truly is an expression of worship, then I love the idea of gaining a testimony & a better understanding of the words we sing.

What are your favorite hymns? Have you read their scriptures? Please share! If you want, find your favorite hymn, look up the scripture and share both song title & scripture reference in "comments". I would absolutely love to hear them!

If you don't have a hymn book at home, check THIS link out! You can see the music and even listen to your favorite hymns. Such a great resource!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails