Monday, October 4, 2010

Monday Night Madness......


FAMILY HOME EVENING:

"This is a time for families to study the gospel together and to do other activities that strengthen the family spiritually, create family memories, and increase unity and love."


Remember This Lesson.......
  
Photobucket

or most recently THIS ONE......


Photobucket


I LOVE lessons like these. They are the lessons that fit into the description above about what FHE should be. We have fun, we are ALL involved, we THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX, we ALL learn something and because of all of that, WE GROW CLOSER AS A FAMILY!

I have been thinking about these lessons. Why were they so effective? Why do my kids continue to bring them up and ask for more like them?

I totally believe it is because I had asked myself WHAT do my children need to know RIGHT NOW? What are they struggling with, or would they relate with more in their lives? Then I prayed about it. A lot. After all, the Lord loves them. He wants to be taught and loved. OF COURSE He would answer. And He did.

Those ideas were His. That is why it all worked. Because HE was in them! Just last week I felt strongly that we just needed a "Dawson" FHE. We watched videos, looked at every picture we could find of him, talked about our favorite memories, cried and laughed. It was good. It was totally needed! I didn't know how badly it was needed for ALL of us until after the lesson, but the Lord knew and He guided me in that direction!

I have had plenty of little ideas pop into my head from time to time. I can't wait to put them into play more. I am going to put a lot more effort into Monday night. Because honestly, Family Night is a BLAST! No matter your religion, having a special night set aside to teach your children about what you believe, teach them morals, values and responsibility, then wear them out with fun and games and put them to bed after a FHE treat....WHAT COULD BE BETTER?!

I can't wait to share some ideas with you! And AS ALWAYS I would love to hear some of the ideas you come up with! I really LOVE a lesson with a good object lesson in it. That TOTALLY gets my kids!

A little side note....
I have learned to have a very small agenda and NEVER get upset if I don't get my entire lesson in. Sometimes the kids will ask a question that will require a deeper discussion on the subject. That is the best! That is when little ears open and little bodies sit more still. Also, don't be afraid to ask "What do you think that means?" questions or "What do you think the person in the story should do?" This is always a good indicator of what a future lesson could be on. Also, don't forget "THE BASICS". Don't skim on the history of things or the importance of the Atonement. I totally believe that helping our kids find their OWN testimonies of these things when they are young makes all the difference!


1 comment:

Gear Gang said...

Oh, I am excited for this. I so need great and creative ideas for FHE and even Activity Days.

It is always fun to do crafts and make things with the girls, but I never know quite what to do when I get to the gospel standards, because I want to keep it exciting and yet teach them something that they will always remember and this might actually help me do both.

Love you Aim!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails