Oh, the Kitchen.....what more can we say?
There is nothing like beadboard cupboards in the kitchen to remind you of just how messy you are! OH MY! Let's get this all cleaned up, shall we?!
- Start by going from cupboard to cupboard, pantry to fridge. Throw out the things you don't need and all of those empty boxes (does that just happen at my house?! UGH).
- Call me crazy, but I organize my spices in alphabetical order. I know, a bit obsessive, but it makes for quicker finds when I am using a not so common seasoning.
- Don't be afraid to throw stuff out. If you don't use it, give it to a second hand store! JUST DO IT! If you should ever need one, borrow it from a friend that has it!
- Check for expiration dates on everything. Throw it out if it has expired.
- Just a side note on the fridge: Get in the habit of giving it a complete wipe down each week or two. Every time you bring a load home from the store, shift things around and wipe the shelves down. This will make your life SO much easier and your fridge ALWAYS clean with very little effort!
- As you go through the cupboards, pull everything off the shelves and wipe the shelf down. This will help in giving your kitchen the clean FEELING we all love!
- THE WIPE DOWN
- Once your cupboards are cleaned out, wipe the fronts of them down thoroughly. I use Don Aslett's Heavy Duty cleaner because it is a GREAT de-greaser. It makes your work super quick! With my beadboard I used a butter knife tucked into my rag to get in the cracks. I also occasionally broke out a toothbrush or even a toothpick. Yep, I'm insane! :)
- Wipe down the front of your appliances. If you have stainless steel appliances don't spray the cleaner directly onto it. Spray a rag, wipe it down and then quickly (while it is still damp) use a dry cloth to buff. If you don't have stainless steel, break out a magic eraser! It is the best thing in the world for getting into all of the little lines and creases!
- Now we are getting serious! Get down on your hands and knees and scrub those toe kicks. It is the space where the cupboards and the floor meet. While you are there get a good scrub on the corners and edges.
- Pull out the appliances. Wipe down the floor underneath and the sides of the cupboards and appliance.
- Wipe down the table. If you have a leaf in your table, pull the table apart and wipe down the cracks. Wipe the sides, legs & chairs really good.
- You know I am going to remind you about the walls. Mop them, just like you have done in your other rooms. Make sure you get the baseboards, trim & doors.
- Wash the windows.
- Set your oven to "self-clean", if you have the option. When it is finished and cooled, wipe out what is left over. If you don't have "Self Clean" use an oven cleaner for best results.
- Clean your stove top, microwave and exhaust fan. Use a de-greaser to make your work easy.
- Clean your sink. Use bleach for the best clean. Use a toothbrush to give the faucet the best shine. Buff until you see your face in it.
- Wash Windows.
- Sweep & Mop
Pay close attention to the edges and corners.
PHEW! Now that is a good job to have done! I love a good clean kitchen! Enjoy it!