I love to cook for my family! Each day I make an after school snack for my children to come home to. There’s nothing like coming home to the smell of freshly baked cookies or a delicious hot meal after a long day at school or the office.
All of the cooking I do is low-fat, high in protein & fiber when possible. I can take any recipe and make it low-fat. It’s fun to be creative in the kitchen and having everyone love my cooking & baking is highly rewarding.
Here are a few recipes that I enjoy making and always have rave reviews from my family & friends.
CAROL WHITAKER'S LOW-FAT RECIPES
Whole Wheat Pancakes
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup oats crushed in mixer or wheat germ
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup skim milk or low calorie Almond milk
- 1 tbs brown sugar or ½ tbs Agave
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (optional)
- Garnish with 1/4 cup diced apples or blueberries (can incorporate into mix as well)
Mix above ingredients well. Cook in pan/griddle on medium heat, spray with non-stick cooking spray. Pour into pan using 1/4 cup measuring cup. When air bubbles pop, turn once. Serve with low calorie jam or low sugar syrup. Garnish with diced apples or blueberries if desired. Enjoy!
- 1 can chicken breast (all white meat) drain & rinse
- 1 stock diced celery
- 1 tsp almond slices
- 1 Tbs diced apple with skin
- 1 Tbs walnuts
- 2 tbs plain low fat yogurt
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Salt & pepper to taste
Mix together and stuff toasted ½ whole wheat pita, whole wheat bread or ezekiel bread, top with spouts and Wishbone Balsamic BreezeVinaigrette salad spray if desired. Serve with fresh spinach salad and 1/2 cup fresh fruit.
- Crushed whole wheat bread crumbs with 1 tsp dried basel, dash of salt & pepper
- 1 egg white whipped
- 6 halves boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries divided (1/4 cup set aside)
- 1 /2 cup low sugar raspberry jam
- 1 Tbs of low sugar maple syrup or 1/2 tbs Agave or honey
- 3 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/8 cup water
- ¼ tsp of ginger & curry
Place chicken breast halves between sheets of plastic wrap, gently pound to flatten until even in thickness. Coat each breast in egg whites in one bowl and then in another bowl coat on both sides with the mixture of salt, pepper & bread crumbs and place in prepared baking dish sprayed with non fat cooking spray. Place in oven on 350 degrees for 25 to 45 minutes or until well done. *